Our response to covid-19
River City Food Bank has a strong history of overcoming challenges and this year is no different. In the wake of COVID-19, we have pivoted all operations to ensure the same quality service to our community, while keeping safety and health as a top priority. One thing is for certain and that is we will always be there when our neighbors need us most.
Emergency Food Distribution Hours
(1800 28th. St. Sacramento, CA 95816)
Tuesday: 10:30am – 1:30pm
Wednesday: 10:30am – 1:30pm
Thursday: 10:30am – 1:30pm
(2300 Edison Ave. St. Sacramento, CA 95821)
Friday: 10:30am – 1:30pm
Saturday: 10:30am – 1:30pm
Ways to Help
Monetary Donations – A gift in any amount will provide much needed food, resources and support to operate RCFB’s emergency food distributions.
Updates to Our Daily Operations
Modified Food Distribution
- Prepackaging boxes of healthy food items to distribute;
- Serving outside to provide a safe distance for guests, volunteers and staff;
- Limiting the number of volunteers in the building at a time;
- Serving only two households at a time at a safe distance; and
- Measuring and marking the distribution area to show guests where they can stand to follow the recommendations for social distancing.
RCFB is currently accepting in-kind donations of:
- Canned goods
- Peanut butter
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Personal-size hygiene items (toothpaste, shampoo, feminine products, deodorant, soap, lotion),
- Diapers (all sizes), unexpired baby food or formula, and
- Pet food.
- World Health Organization: www.who.int
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov
- Emergency Food Response Agencies: www.sacramentofoodbank.org/emergency-response-agencies
- For additional resources, call 211
Yes, RCFB is still open and distributing food. As a result of COVID-19, our emergency food distribution is outdoors at our Midtown site on Tuesday through Thursday from 10:30am – 1:30pm and at our Arden-Arcade site Friday and Saturday from 10:30am- 1:30pm.
RCFB takes pride in offering a unique “Choice Model” food distribution, which allows all guests to select the foods that make the most sense for their families. However, in light of the recent COVID-19 outbreak, RCFB has had to temporarily remove the choice model in order to continue serving the community, while adhering to safety protocols. For the time being, all food items will be prepacked in bags/boxes and distributed outside in the food bank’s parking lot.
Yes, we are still in need of volunteers to assist in packing bags/boxes for the Emergency Food Distribution sites in both Midtown and Arden-Arcade. However, RCFB is currently limiting the number of volunteers per day to reduce contamination and exposure of COVID-19. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the volunteer page for more information.
All volunteers will be given a wellness screening prior to entering the food bank and will be required to wear a mask while on site.
Yes, we are currently accepting in-kind donations of canned goods, peanut butter, hygiene products, baby products and pet food.
Browse our Amazon Wishlist to see the items most needed to help our neighbors facing hunger and have them shipped safely to our doorstep! Don’t forget to shop through AmazonSmile and choose River City Food Bank as your charity of choice and they will donate a portion of the purchase back to us!
Yes, The RCFB CalFresh Outreach team is offering assistance via email, phone and by appointment outside during distribution hours at both the Midtown and Arden-Arcade locations.
Interested in applying or have questions? Feel free to call at 916-233-4075 or fill out our referral form on the CalFresh page and email it back to the CalFresh team at .
Here is a list of Emergency Response Agencies that are open and providing food during the COVID-19 crisis: https://www.sacramentofoodbank.org/emergency-response-agencies
Sign up for email newsletter.